Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Innovation Works Conference
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 from 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM (EDT)
Innovation isn’t just about the latest new gadget; it’s the vital spark
that improves the quality of our lives. At Innovation Works, National
Journal will look at the link between new cutting-edge innovations and
the public policy environment that incubates these new technologies.
Join us as we discuss how best to tap tomorrow’s hottest innovations with the potential to spur job growth throughout the economy.
8:00a.m. – 8:30a.m. Registration and Innovation Station Showcase
8:30a.m. Welcome and Introductions
8:35a.m. – 9:30a.m. Foreshadowing the Future
The top five innovations that will drive economic growth in
the next 10 years and what government and the private
sector are doing to drive these innovations
- Jim Tankersley, Economic Correspondent, National Journal
- Robert Atkinson, President, Information Technology and Innovation Foundation
- Ceci Connolly, Senior Adviser, McKinsey Center for Health Reform
- Ronald A. Klain, President, Case Holdings
- Dr. Arun Majumdar, Director, Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy, United States Department of Energy
- Simon J. Tripp, Senior Director of Technology Partnership Practice, Battelle
9:30a.m -10:00a.m Keynote Speech: Boosting U.S. Competitiveness Through Innovation
- Michael Hirsh, Chief Correspondent, National Journal
- John P. Holdren, Assistant to the President for Science and Technology, Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and Co-Chair of the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST)
10:00a.m. – 11:00a.m. What Best Drives Innovation?
An agenda of deregulation and tax cuts or an agenda of public investments, loan guarantees and mandates?
- Matt Cooper, Editor, National Journal Daily
- Reed E. Hundt, Principal, REH Advisors
- Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Member, U.S. House of Representatives
- Daniel Pacthod, Director, McKinsey & Company
- Gary Shapiro, President and CEO, Consumer Electronics Association
11:00a.m. – 11:15a.m. Re-Charge/Re-Fuel Break
11:15a.m. – 12:15a.m.
Innovation Idea Labs
1. One-on-One Keynote Interview: View
from the Hill Idea Lab
Key Innovation Initiatives and Legislation in the 112th Congress
- Major Garrett,Congressional Correspondent, National Journal
- Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Majority Whip, U.S. House of Representatives
2. Telecommunications Idea Lab
This lab will discuss how changes in spectrum policy are impacting broadband, wireless and broadcast and the development of next generation technologies.
- Bruce Gottlieb, General Counsel, National Journal
- Rebecca Arbogast, Head, Communications Regulatory Practice, Stifel, Nicolaus & Company, Inc
- Susan Crawford, Professor, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University
- Christopher Guttman-McCabe, Vice President of Regulatory Affairs, CTIA
- John K. Hane, Counsel, Pillsbury Winthrop
- Michael Mandel, Chief Economic Strategist, Progressive Policy Institue
- Bruce Mehlman, Founder and Partner, Mehlman Vogel Castagnetti Inc.
Media Idea Lab
This innovation lab will explore how federal, state and local governments as well as campaigns and elected officials are using social media to communicate with citizens in real time and respond to their needs and desire for civic engagement.
- David Beard, Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Digital, National Journal
- Sheila Campbell, Acting Director of the Center for New Media and Citizen Engagement, Office of Citizen Services and Innovative Technologies, GSA
- Mark Drapeau, Ph.D., Director of Innovative Social Engagement, Microsoft U.S. Public Sector
- Nicco Mele, Founder and Resident Futurist, Echo Ditto
- Adam Sharp, Manager, Government and Political Partnerships, Twitter, Inc.
- Robert Willington, CEO, Swift Current Strategies
12:30p.m. - 1:30p.m. Creative Genius: How Art and Culture Drive
A luncheon session for Washington’s most influential policymakers on how innovation takes place from some of America’s most creative minds. A firsthand conversation on what top innovators need to thrive.
- Linda Douglass, Vice President, Head of Corporate Strategic Communications, Atlantic Media Company
José Andrés, Owner, THINKfoodGroup
- Marc Kushner, Chief Executive Officer, Architizer.com
With Special Thanks to Our Underwriters:
Note to Government Employees: In deference to the letter and spirit of applicable ethics regulations, this educational event is not intended for politically-appointed federal branch employees or for state and local government employees. A description of this event - written for government ethics office review - may be requested by writing email@example.com.
When & Where
National Journal Membership
To inform, equip, educate, and connect the nation's leading professionals in policy & politics.
National Journal Membership is an extensive community of the nation's leading professionals in policy and politics that is grounded in our Platinum Standard Journalism.
As a Member you gain unlimited access to our publications, as well as exclusive research tools, and executive insight that enables you to save time and deliver increased value to your constituents.